Purpose of Ministry
To organize and train the laity of the local A.M.E. Church. The laity is the members, other than the Clergy, who make up the foundation of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
• To instill in the membership of the church a love for, and an appreciation of the history, tradition, and principles of African Methodism.
• To advocate respect and loyalty at all times, to constituted authority and leadership.
• To encourage the laity to support the total program of the church in the local congregation, in the community and throughout the Connection.
• To encourage, stimulate, and educate the laity of the church in the history, development and organic laws of African Methodism.
• To foster a systematic and regular study of the Book of Discipline of the A.M.E. Church, and Parliamentary Procedure, to the end that greater knowledge and information may be disseminated among the laity, and with the further purpose of encouraging lay members to participate more largely in the general functioning and supervision of the A.M.E. Church.
• To provide training in Christian Stewardship which causes lay members to recognize the connotation of stewardship addresses more than giving money.
• To provide for the orderly and systematic training of lay persons, especially officers, in order that they might more effectively, perform their service assignments.
Lay persons are the members of a local church in good and regular standing, seeking spiritual fellowship and knowledge of the A.M.E. Church.
The members of the Lay Organization elect officers each Conference year.
When the Ministry Serves and/or Meeting Schedule
2nd Saturday of each month at 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. in the D.O. Walker Hall
Lay Organization President, Debra Samples-Holliday – firstname.lastname@example.org
Main Office: (510) 655-1527